Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Q & A with Bill Rosencrans & Some Picture of Dakota



Hi Bill! Could you tell us a little about yourself?

Sure, I have always enjoyed writing in one form or another. I began writing poetry, and then later got into writing screenplays because I didn’t think I had what it took to become a novelist. That was in part because I was reading novels by Pulitzer Prize winners and the like. I thought that in order to be successful at it I needed to be able to write like them instead of just being myself. So, I wrote screenplays instead. In doing so, I acquired a writers guild agent in Hollywood, California that still represents my work. And then Dakota came into my life. Dakota: A Work in Progress is one of those books that wasn’t meant to be a book. I began jotting down Dakota’s unusual behavior, all of those things that he did that left me laughing out loud. Those same notes became essays or short stories that are one to four pages in length. There are seventy-two of them in Dakota: A Work in Progress. They are those moments that were too good to forget.

Why did you choose the name Dakota for him?
Coming up with Dakota’s name was easy. He’s from South Dakota. He was crated and shipped to a pet store in Upstate, New York State. That was where I found him, and my life hasn’t been the same since.

Have you been able to find a trainer for Dakota?

No. Dakota has had two failed attempts with dog trainers. They walk away shaking their heads in awe at him. Another author, George Nowak who read the second book - Dakota: Still a Work in Progress, wrote a blurb for the second book that read - “The book is a joy, and reminds me of an old saying - When properly trained, a man can be a dog’s best friend. I think that just about sums up how the training went.

Who takes care of Dakota if you go on vacation?
My nephew and his girlfriend come to house to stay with Dakota while we’re away. They’re very good with him. They’re lots of fun and give him tons of attention.

How old is Dakota now?

Dakota is five. It’s hard to believe. Time flies when you’re having fun.

Is Dakota your first pet or is he the most memorable because of his antics?

I’ve had other dogs. But, I’ve never had a dog like Dakota. Everyone loves Dakota because he’s so much fun to be around. Friends of mine, who own two golden retrievers, Jack and Rosie, said they can’t even mention Dakota’s name in their house without their dogs going bonkers. So, they refer to Dakota as “D”. He’s a popular little guy. He has more friends than I do. And, I do think it’s because of his antics. He’s not your average dog. Not by a long shot.

I see that you also write screenplays and plays. Have you thought of doing a screenplay about Dakota?

No, but that’s an excellent idea. Right now I am in the process of rewriting Dakota: Still a Work in Progress which will be in the same format as the first book. It’s a lot of fun going through it again. Dakota sure gives me plenty to write about.

Bill Rosencrans



 





I COULDN’T BE HAPPIER that BETTER READ THAN DEAD has decided to host my book, Dakota: A Work In Progress on the first Dakota: A Work In Progress blog tour on MAY 4TH 2011. Join in on the fun. I will be available throughout the day to answer any questions you may have. You may reach me at Dakotathebook@gmail.com or at wrosencr@nycap.rr.com

 Bill Rosencrans

Dakota: A Work in Progress is a very funny book about the world's most neurotic dog and it is appropriate for all ages. You will be laughing out loud as you read each short story about this one of a kind golden retriever named Dakota. Stanley Coren - author of How Dogs Think and The Intelligence of Dogs wrote Dakota: A Work in Progress is a cheerful and amusing romp through the life of a manic but sweet and endearing dog. If you love dogs and need a smile this book is for you. Sonny Brewer - author of Cormac, The Tale of a Dog Gone Missing wrote - Bill Rosencrans' book about his wonder dog Dakota is a long love letter, really. It's a treat for the rest of us that we get to read of Dakota's doings over Bill's shoulder, reminded on every page why we ourselves love our own doggies. This book has been published by Diversion Press and you can order it through any bookstore. The price is $14.95
View my complete profile
 

No comments:

Post a Comment