Thursday, August 4, 2011

Pick and Pan

WildefirePick:
Wildefire by Karsten Knight is a great YA novel. The action starts from the very beginning of the book and continues on throughout.  Dealing with the aftermath of her impetuous older sister's actions, Ashline Wilde transfers to Blackwood Academy for a fresh start.  Everything is going great until she learns she is part of a group of gods and goddesses meant to save the world from destruction via methods and forces unknown.On top of all that, Ash must figure out her powers and decipher her message. 

I liked this book and would love to follow the adventures of Ash and her fellow gods and goddesses.  I almost didn't read this but I'm glad I gave it a chance.




Bed: A Novel
Pan:
Bed by David Whitehouse is the story of Mal Ede narrated by his brother.  We never learn the brother's name.  Mal has always been a problem child - fussy, contrary, and demanding of almost constant attention.  Despairing of the responsibilities of adult life, Mal goes to bed on the eve of his 25th birthday and never gets back out.  The rest of the book is everyone scrambling to accommodate him. 

I didn't like this book whatsoever.  I couldn't understand the motivations of anybody in the book.  The younger brother clearly resents Mal but chooses for the most part to live in his shadow in almost every sense (even dating Mal's old girlfriend).  He doesn't even identify himself.  I could get into this book; I couldn't even invest time or energy into the character's lives.  I couldn't understand anybody's motivation in this book.  They all seem to have too much time on their hands.

*Both these books were provided by the publisher Simon and Schuster via Galley Grab.*

2 comments: